Back pain is an unpleasant symptom of some diseases, resulting from overexertion of muscle tissue and other causes. It develops when the structures of the spine, nerve tissues or skin change. Painful sensations arise when some internal organs malfunction. Depending on the location of the pain, it can be assumed which part of the body is damaged. If the symptom has spread to both sides of the dorsal region, there is concomitant symptomatology, you should contact a medical facility. Doctors will diagnose, determine the cause of the symptom and eliminate pain.
Causes of back pain
About 80% of the population complain of spinal pain, the syndrome develops more often during the progression of the disease. The main causes of pain in the back are spinal injuries:
- osteomyelitis, characterized by damage to the bone marrow;
- tumors of a malignant nature, manifested in the form of pain in the lower back;
- intervertebral hernia;
- displacement of the vertebral discs;
- spinal column fractures;
- osteochondrosis and stenosis of the spinal canals;
- chronic muscle pain;
- damage to cartilage tissue.
There are reasons for this symptom that are not related to diseases of the spine.
- bleeding in the pelvic region;
- compression of the nerve roots in the chest, which provokes pain during inhalation;
- large volume of blood cells in the retroperitoneal region;
- ulcerative focus, characterized by pain in the shoulder blades;
- disorders of the renal system;
- diseases of the gastrointestinal tract causing one-sided pain;
- diseases of a gynecological nature, pain is given to the lumbar muscles of the back;
- neoplasms in the lung area;
- infectious diseases of internal organs;
- diseases of the heart and blood vessels;
- calculus formation in the renal system;
- joint inflammation;
- dysfunction of organs located in the abdominal region.
Types of back pain
Depending on the nature of painful sensations, the causes of pain are determined. There are several types of pain:
Shooting back pains
- pinching of the nerve process, displacement of the intervertebral disc;
- physical injuries after a fall, require surgical intervention;
- diseases of internal organs;
- deformities of the vertebrae.
Shooting acute pains require medical attention. It will not be possible to establish an accurate diagnosis on your own.
Stabbing back pain
Painful sensations develop in the lumbar region. Causes of dagger pain:
- spasm of piriform muscle tissue;
- third trimester of bearing a child;
- inflammatory process with hypothermia.
Pulling back pain
Developed in the lumbar spine when exposed to the following factors:
- osteochondrosis of the lumbar spine;
- intense physical activity;
- staying in an uncomfortable position for a long time;
- old back injury.
Back pain after training
Developed in professional athletes, due to overstrain of muscle tissues. If the spine hurts after training, you need to give the body rest, relax the muscles.
To determine the localization of the lesion and establish the causes of pain, the doctor
conducts a series of diagnostic tests. Anamnesis is collected from the patient, the duration of the development of painful sensations, their intensity are taken into account. The specialist palpates the back. The patient is assigned to donate blood and urine. You will need to undergo x-rays, computed tomography, MRI. If necessary, contrast radiography is used. After receiving the results, the doctor draws up a course of treatment.
Typically, clinics use the following diagnostic methods:
- MRI (magnetic resonance imaging)
- Check-up (comprehensive examination of the body)
- Computerized electroencephalography
- Computer spine topography
- Duplex Scan
- Ultrasound (ultrasound)
- CT (computed tomography)
Which doctor to contact
If you are concerned about chronic pain, see an orthopedist - most likely, they are caused by diseases of the musculoskeletal system. If the pain is severe, in the form of lumbago, make an appointment with a neurologist.
Back Pain Treatment
In case of severe painful sensations, it is allowed to apply a cold compress until the doctors arrive, in order to get rid of the pain, it is allowed to take an antispasmodic medicine. The patient needs to provide rest. To cure the disease, he prescribes medications, physiotherapy procedures, manual therapy methods, massage procedures. If necessary, a medical corset is used, which reduces the load on the muscle tissues of the lumbar and spine.
In severe cases and with specific diseases, for example, with a malignant neoplasm, a surgical method of treatment is used.
In modern medical centers, the following methods are used to treat back pain:
- Manual therapy
- Massage Therapy
- Orthopedic Insoles
- Ozone therapy
- More about the service
- SVF Joint Therapy
- Pediatric orthopedic clinical examination
If left untreated for a condition that causes back pain, a number of complications are possible:
- the patient becomes more difficult to walk due to acute pain;
- the functioning of the heart system, lungs, organs of the gastrointestinal tract is disrupted;
- migraines develop, tinnitus and attacks of dizziness appear;
- disrupted the functioning of organs in the pelvic region;
- paralysis of the upper and lower extremities is possible.
Prevention of back pain
To avoid pain in the back, follow these guidelines:
- timely treat diseases of the renal system, gastrointestinal tract, spine and lungs;
- avoid strenuous physical activity;
- control the posture position;
- sleep in the correct posture, bedding must be of high quality;
- avoid sudden back movements;
- timely undergo preventive examinations by doctors;
- control body weight;
- stop drinking alcoholic beverages and smoking, taking narcotic drugs;
- eat a balanced diet;
- when sedentary work or spending time at the computer, do back exercises once an hour;
- take a course of chondroprotectors every 6 months.