One of the varieties of degenerative-dystrophic diseases of intervertebral discs is cervical osteochondrosis, which can be treated at home. The main goal is to complement and enhance the work of classical methods of treatment (drugs, physiotherapy).
Description of pathology
Symptoms in osteochondrosis of the cervical spine will affect several organs and systems at once due to the peculiarities of blood supply and innervation:
- Impaired motor activity in the upper limbs.
- Severe pain syndrome (especially in the acute phase).
- Violation of the visual and auditory system. Tinnitus may occur. A pathological change in blood circulation (vertebral artery syndrome) leads to the appearance of "flies" before the eyes, loss of visual fields.
- Sensory impairment (numbness of the limbs).
- Headaches (due to hypoxia).
There are several stages of the disease development:
- Acute (first 2-3 weeks). Pronounced clinical picture, but minor changes in the osteochondral apparatus.
- Subacute (3-6 weeks). In the clinic, pain remains the leading symptom, and signs of bone destruction appear on the images.
- Chronic (more than 6 weeks). The clinic manifests itself rarely and mildly expressed syndromes (aching pain, restriction of movement). The pictures show pronounced changes in the articular surfaces. Intervertebral hernias often occur (bone structures become fragile).
Treatment of cervical osteochondrosis is allowed at home, along with other methods of therapy (pills, physiotherapy). As a rule, the effectiveness of alternative treatment is much lower, but numerous repetitions of such treatment courses are permissible (after 3-4 courses, patients begin to feel relief).
It is possible to treat cervical osteochondrosis at home, but only if the following conditions are met:
- Stage of compensation or subcompensation (no clinical manifestations or minor).
- Consultation with a doctor (rheumatologist, therapist).
- No allergic reactions to treatment components.
Home Treatment Benefits:
- Availability at any time.
- Cost effective.
Disadvantages of Therapy:
- Incorrect selection of funds and, as a consequence, lack of effect, possible deterioration of the condition.
- Incorrect exercise.
- Possible exacerbation of concomitant diseases caused by incorrect self-medication tactics.
Complex exercise therapy
When performing exercises with cervical osteochondrosis, intense pain should not be allowed. Perform the course exclusively in accordance with the individual capabilities of the body, from any position (standing, sitting, lying).
The set of exercises is selected by a specialist.
- head flexion / extension;
- circular head movements;
- bends forward / backward, right / left.
Exercise therapy, physiotherapy and massage of the cervical-collar zone are carried out in the complex in a course of several weeks.
One of the options for reflexology using a special plate. It is based on mechanical action on the innervation zones.
This device can be purchased in specialized pharmacies and used independently as a massager.
Rubbing from pharmacy products
At the moment there are a large number of pharmacy infusions and lotions, which eliminates the need for self-preparation.
These grits include the following elements:
- Essential oils (sage, mint, lemon balm, aloe, tea tree).
- Analgesics for pain relief.
- Irritants (pepper, mustard).
- Antiseptic (alcohol, menthol).
Apply each according to the attached instructions.
Folk remedies and recipes
Recipes for folk remedies in the treatment of cervical osteochondrosis have long been known for their effectiveness and simplicity. How and how to treat cervical osteochondrosis at home - these are the most famous and effective methods of traditional medicine used in patients with pathology of the musculoskeletal system, in particular, osteochondrosis of the cervical spine.
Herbs in the treatment of osteochondrosis at home are the most popular among the population. Medicines are available at any pharmacy in the city.
Application does not entail any significant consequences and repeated courses of treatment with a slight interruption are possible. Age restrictions are also conditional (admission is permissible for children in the absence of contraindications).
You should know that all infusions, lotions, compresses are not recommended to be used hot. The reason is that heating the affected area can provoke the onset of a diffuse purulent infection (phlegmon, abscess), especially if there were any microdamages in this area. Hot substances have a negative effect on people with hypertension associated with osteochondrosis.
In this treatment option, the root of this plant is used (you can prepare it yourself or purchase it in pharmacies).
Root or 2 tsp dry matter pour 1 cup boiling water. Insist for 24 hours, then moisten the gauze and apply to the collar area. The course of treatment is 7 days.
The needles have pronounced tanning properties. There are several ways to apply it:
- In fortifying baths. Pour 1 liter of boiling water over several pine legs and leave for 2 hours. Then pour the resulting solution into a bath at a temperature of 38C. The duration of the bath is 30 minutes. Course 7 days.
- In infusions. Pour 2 tsp of dry matter with 70% alcohol solution and leave for 3 days. Rub the affected area 2 times a day. The term of completion is 14 days.
- Boil pine legs for 5 minutes. Strain the resulting broth and rub in for 20 minutes.
Has mild anti-inflammatory properties. Improves metabolic processes in tissues. Use cases:
- Take 2-3 tsp of dry matter and pour boiling water (300 ml). Insist an hour and rub into the cervical area until slight redness appears. Course 7 days.
- Pour 3 tsp of dandelion flowers and medicinal chamomile (1: 1) with 70% alcohol solution. Insist for 24 hours, then apply 2 times a day.
Pine bud infusion
Method of preparation: pour 2-3 tablespoons of kidneys with boiling water and, after complete cooling, use on the affected area. Course 8 days.
Compresses and applications
Treatment of cervical osteochondrosis by folk methods includes multiple compresses and lotions, but you must remember a few basic rules when using:
- Frequent repetitions of the course of treatment (usually 2-3). The reason is that the effectiveness of therapy is extremely low in one course.
- The effect of treatment is more pronounced if you wrap a scarf / towel around the damaged area. The reason is the additional heat effect in addition to the action of drugs.
Kerosene 50 ml, mix with 2-3 tsp sunflower oil and 1-2 tsp baking soda. Rub the resulting mixture into the neck-collar zone for 20 minutes. The course of therapy is 15 days.
The mixture is irritating and requires care.
Compresses, infusions and lotions and potatoes are the most common treatment. There are several reasons for this:
- lack of strict contraindications (with the exception of starch allergy).
- Finely grate potatoes and strain. Form the resulting dry mixture into a cake and apply to the affected area for 20 minutes. The course of therapy is 2 weeks.
- Boil potatoes (3-4) in their skins. Then crush and wrap in cheesecloth. Apply warm potatoes to the neck-collar zone for 20 minutes (avoid the formation of burns). The course of therapy is 7 days.
Radish is an irritant, therefore the exposure time should be reduced in accordance with individual tolerance.
Examples of using radish:
- Grate the radish on a fine grater and strain through a sieve. Apply the resulting dry mixture to the cervical spine for 10–20 minutes. The course of therapy is 2 weeks.
- Grate the radish and strain. Mix the resulting juice with honey in a 1: 3 ratio. Pour the solution with alcohol and leave in a dark room for 3 days. Then moisten gauze with infusion and apply for 10–20 minutes on the affected area. The course of therapy is 7 days.
Sour cream and comfrey
Comfrey has a strong astringent and anti-inflammatory effect. The root of the plant is rubbed on a fine grater and mixed with sour cream until a gruel is obtained (usually a 1: 1 ratio). On the cervical area for 2 minutes and a course of 7 days.
Recipes with honey
Honey has an almost immense list of useful properties:
The only contraindication is allergic reactions or individual intolerance.
Most popular honey recipes:
- Pure honey. Rub honey (50–100 g) into the affected area for 20 minutes. The course of therapy is 15 days.
- Mix 50 g of honey and 2 tsp of mustard and rub the creamy mixture into the neck for 20-30 minutes. The course of therapy is 2 weeks.
- Mix honey (20–40 mg), aloe juice (5 ml) and tea tree oil (2–4 drops). Stir well and apply for 20 minutes. The course of therapy is 9 days.
Treatment of cervical osteochondrosis is possible at home by rubbing the affected area with infusions and decoctions.
This method is based on two mechanisms:
- mechanical pressure;
- medicinal effects of herbs.
Mother and Stepmother
Both flowers and plant stems can be used in the preparation of the infusion. When cooking, pour 70% alcohol and leave for 4 weeks in a dark room. After that, strain the solution through cheesecloth and store in a glass container out of the reach of children.
Method of application: rub with light massage movements into the affected area 2 times a day for 10-15 minutes. The course of therapy is 2 weeks.
Horseradish and elderberry
Horseradish and elderberries can be used both separately and in combination. The combined treatment is presented below.
Method of preparation: separately from each other pour boiling water (1 cup) horseradish leaves and elderberries (with leaves). Insist during the day. Then strain both solutions and mix in a 1: 1 ratio. Rub the cervical spine and the adjacent area once a day for 10 minutes. The course of therapy is 7 days.
Ointment forms of drugs provide quick relief of pain in cervical osteochondrosis.
Effectiveness is reduced if this form of treatment is used exclusively.
Mix egg whites (2-3) with butter in a 1: 2 ratio until a creamy gruel is obtained. Apply to the joint area once a day for 30 minutes and wrap with a terry towel.
It has a pronounced anti-inflammatory effect. There are several ways to use ginger:
- Pour 2-3 plant roots with olive oil and leave for 24 hours. Lubricate the neck with the resulting mixture once a day at night. The course of therapy is 2 weeks.
- Grind the ginger root, add nutmeg and linseed oil. Cover the resulting gruel mixture with a towel and leave in a dark room for 8 hours. Rub into the joint for 20 minutes for 7 days.
Egg and mustard
Egg whites are rich in protein, and mustard has a pronounced irritating effect (enhances local microcirculation) - these are the main reasons for using these components in the treatment of osteochondrosis.
Method of preparation: mix the protein of 2 eggs and 1-1. 5 tbsp. l. tablespoons of mustard until creamy. Apply to the affected area for 10-15 minutes. Course 7 days.
Mustard can cause severe local tissue irritation. In case of intense pain syndrome, the procedure is not recommended.
Heating with ozokerite
Ozokerite is a naturally occurring wax. Often, this procedure is carried out in sanatoriums along with paraffin heat treatment.
- pain reliever;
Method of application: the wax is heated in a special container until it turns into a liquid state. Then it is carefully poured into a container with sides (a baking sheet can be used) and wait for cooling to a temperature of 50 C. Then the resulting mass is separated from the container and applied to the affected area for local heating of tissues.
Carefully monitor the temperature of the wax and avoid scalding.
Prevention of exacerbations
Recommendations on how to treat cervical osteochondrosis are generally known, since they are applicable to all rheumatological diseases.
For effective prevention of the development of the disease, it is recommended to adhere to a few simple but useful tips:
- physical activity (moderate);
- healthy eating (moderate salt intake);
- correctly fitted shoes (appropriate size, heel 4–6 cm, cushioning insoles).
Compliance with these rules is a guarantee of spine health!